Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

This Sunday was Mother's Day. This holiday always makes me grin, not because there is a present involved, but because I thought that this was a holiday that wouldn't apply to me! To me, motherhood meant giving up my life. Why would I want to willingly give up my whole life for someone that is only half mine? That sounded crazy to me. Until I heard the words, "If you want children, you better have them now." I was 23, been married for only eight months, living in a place where we knew no one, and I had just started a new job. I had to make this decision today? Right now, no way. I didn't know much but I knew that this was going to be easy, no kids! I'm not ready for "the Motherhood." I'm to young, I never really thought I would have them anyway, no big deal, right? Two months later I was pregnant and on May 6, 1998 I was a mom. I soon realized that I was giving up my life, as I knew it, for a better one, for someone that doesn't even belong to me. Kyler is God's child, not mine. He reminds me every night when he says, "I'm glad God picked you to take care of me." I never thought I could love anything as much as I love that little boy.

No comments: