Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank you.

Tonight as I think about Veterans Day, I think about all the people that answered yes and who have served our country because they wanted to. I am proud to say that my granpa (on my mom's side) and my dad were two that served. Granpa was in the Philippines during WWII and Dad spent his tour of duty on a hill in An Khe, Vietnam.
Granpa in 1943
I also think of Granma and Mom as they watched their husbands leave with no guarantee of returning home and how hard that must have been for them. Dr. Maya Angelou, a Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University said, "How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!" When Granpa left for WWII Granma had two small children. My parents had only been married nineteen months when Dad was drafted. Just because my granma and my mom were not issued a weapon or fought in a battle doesn't mean they are not she-roes. When do we honor them for their sacrifice? So tonight I remember them too, the unsung heroes and she-roes, who have stayed behind as their loved ones have served and who are currently serving.

Granma in 1940

The English writer G.K. Chesterton said, "Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." There have been approximately 711,864 United States soldiers die in wars and/or conflicts since WWI, including the current war in Iraq. How do you honor the men, women, and families that have freely given of themselves and have paid the ultimate price for our freedom? Saying thank you doesn't seem to be enough. I asked a friend who is a Major in the US Army and who has fought in Iraq and is waiting to go back, "How would you like to be celebrated for serving our country?" His response, "We don't want a celebration or parade one or two days a year, we want your support and prayers everyday." I don't think that is to much to ask.

No comments: