Friday, August 14, 2009

hate the sin, love the person

Do you still love Kevin? That seems to be the question of the day, everyday. The answer is yes. As a child of God I am commanded to love him, no matter what has happened. In Matthew 5:43-44 Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you." (I am not saying Kevin is my enemy or that he hates me or curses me, the truth is I'm not sure.) Even before this happened, I have struggled with loving those who hurt me, I tend to be one who tends to hold a grudge. However, over the last few months after I pray this verse keeps entering my mind. So I started thinking, how many times does God tell us to love one another? With a little help from WikiAnswers.com I found that the phrase 'love one another' is used twelve times in the King James Bible. I felt it necessary to share them below:

John 13:34 - A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
John 15:12 - This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
John 15:17 - These things I command you, that ye love one another.
Romans 13:8 - Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
1 Thessalonians 4:9 - But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
1 Peter 1:22 - Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1 John 3:11 - For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
1 John 3:23 - And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
1 John 4:7 -Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1 John 4:11 - Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
1 John 4:12 -No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
2 John 1:5 - And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.


Twelve times! Do you think He was trying to tell us something? When I ask Kyler to do something and on the rare occasion he doesn't acknowledge me I will ask him again and say, "I should only have to tell you once." How many times does He have to tell us before we acknowledge His request?
I struggle with my situation everyday. I won't sugar coat it, it stinks, it's horrible, I hate it, I don't recommend it, and I can't change it. For a short time I thought God was punishing me for something. Then I realized that God didn't do this to me. He gave us free will and the opportunity to decide right or wrong. Sometimes we make decisions that touch others and the "others" become collateral damage. I can't reverse the decisions that have been made, I can just move forward and not let my circumstances steal my joy. I am required as a Christian to 'love one another' and I am able to do this because of the love God has for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

I don't even have words to describe how broken hearted I am to see you go thru this time in your life. I feel compelled to "help", despite my inability to relate to what you are going through.
This season of your life has to be one of the hardest you will 'possibly' ever go thru.
Last sunday's sermon was on how being a christian doesn't mean you won't have "rainy days". As you stated so intelligently in your blog post, that your circumstance IS an outcome of free will. Perhaps our Father will use your pain & your story to the ministry of others... or perhaps we will not know his plan until the day we meet with him..which at that point we will be like, "hallelujah! (sp?) I'm home!"
All of this to say, that you are in my deepest heart of hearts {a old baptist "churchy word" for ya!}
And if you need to laugh, cry or just yell... call me. I will listen.
OR you could buy some cheap dollar store plates..find a good spot somewhere...and just throw those suckers till you feel better!! LOL
much love
Rene'