Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fifth Grade!

Kyler started 5th grade yesterday!
This year when it was time to buy school clothes I asked him what he thought he wanted, I was anticipating his answer, like every other year, "shorts & t-shirts are fine." I almost fell over when he said, "I want some plaid shorts & some golf shirts. I want to start dressing a little nicer." I was shocked, I couldn't believe it, the kid who spent everyday this summer in gym shorts and a baseball tournament shirt wants to "dress nicer" what's up? My immediate thought, there is a girl involved. I didn't really care I was just happy that he was excited about dressing better! The shopping experience itself was like no other. He was a different child; he knew what he was looking for and wasn't going to just grab something just so he could go home, no arguing about trying things on, it was truly a surreal trip.
Last Thursday we were getting ready to go to his school's Open House, he changed his clothes three times before we left. Three times! This is the same child who just two weeks ago would have left the house in a dirty t-shirt! What is going on?
So yesterday, on the first day of school Kyler got dressed, brushed his teeth, washed his face, then he asked me, "would you help me fix my hair"? What? This is not my child. When we went outside to take his picture, it's a tradition we do on the first day of school, he asked, "Do I look okay?" Huh? He never cared before what was different about today?
I drove him to school and as I watched him walk across the street and into school I couldn't believe how grown up he looked. Then, it was like a ton of bricks fell on me I got over the shock of the morning events and became really nervous and I realized that if there is a girl involved I have a new set of issues to worry about. I know I'm not ready for those. Can we go back to the t-shirts and basketball shorts, please?

No comments: